A lab affair

This past week, we said a fond farewell to a postdoc in our lab, and, in her honor (and also just for fun), a lab member held a very delicious dinner party. Though the gracious host told us just to bring ourselves, everyone felt compelled to contribute to the feast, which consisted of treats that ranged from homemade dumplings, scrumptious salads, babba ghanoush and hummus, as well as authentic Italian lasagne the best tiramisu I have ever tasted. Oh, and there was a lot of wine, which was especially exciting, as it was a Tuesday. My contribution to the table of treats was avocado bruscetta, a lovely recipe that I found in Vegetarian Times magazine (aka Squid Daily) a few years ago. Let me first say this: overall, I don't really care for avocado. The texture and flavour turn me off of it and, in general, I will opt not to top my salad with it. I do, however, love guacamole, but I am not sure if that counts....in any case, making this recipe was a strange departure for me, but I am glad that I did - the recipe has most definately become one of my favourites. The light flavours are a lovely complement to the avocado, which takes the centre stage in a delicious and refreshing way. The key to this recipe, and to any avocado recipe in general, is to choose fresh avocados, that are ripe enough to be soft and buttery but still firm enough to dice. I was generous with the pepper, coriander and lemon, but you can adjust the flavours according to your taste.

Avocado Chimichurri Bruscetta
Adapted (slightly) from Vegetarian Times Magazine

Juice from 1 large lemon
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cubed
salt and pepper, to taste
French baguette, sliced and toasted lightly with olive oil

Fold all ingredients together until well combined, taking care not to mash the avocado.
Top freshly toasted baguette with bruscetta, and serve to a hungry crowd.

Can this count toward my thesis?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scone Witch

Birthday torte

Decadence