The M invasion




Despite being adept at cooking all sorts of dishes, Squid seems to have an aversion to making fish.  I have always assumed that this is because she is too polite to enjoy cooking and eating creatures from her neighbourhood.  Since I am not from the sea (and am considerably less polite) I have no problem with cooking fish or my neighbours.  However, I normally reserve these (mostly pescatarian) adventures for nights when I will be dining alone.

This week, filets of fresh, delicious salmon were on sale at our local grocery store.  The slice of fish was way to large to consume by myself, so I convinced Squid to cross over to the dark side by offering to make dinner.

After browsing the world wide web, I chose a recipe for roasted lemon-paprika salmon and roasted garlic green beans.  I served it with a side of baby potatoes. 

The salmon turned out quite well.  Flavourful but light, and was great for leftovers.  I was not crazy about the beans for two reasons: first, I found the recipe a bit bland.  Second, green beans are not in season and the vegetables themselves were sub-par.  To hold its own, the bean portion of the recipe would have to be made with fresh summer beans from the garden or local farmer.  I would definitely make the salmon again, but may rethink my choice of vegetable if it does not happen to be June, July or August. 

Lemon Paprika Salmon

Rub for Salmon: 
1 tsp smoked paprika 
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black ground pepper
zest from 1 lemon
1.5 tbsp oil

~1 kg salmon


For beans
0.5 kg green beans
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 teaspoon KOSHER salt (happy hanukkah)
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1 tbsp oil


Directions: 
Pre-heat oven to 400F
Prepare a baking pan by putting down some foil and rubbing with a bit of olive oil or spray with cooking spray

Mix up the rub for the salmon and rub it on the salmon.  Set aside

Trim the beans, mix with the garlic and oil and salt. 

Arrange the beans around the salmon, and toss them in the oven. 
Cook about 20 mins. The trick is to check the salmon to make sure it is opaque and flaky, but not over-done. Choose an area in the thickest part and check with a fork after about 15-17mins to gauge how much longer you need. 

Sprinkle the almonds on the beans. 

Serve.

Enjoy. 


-M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scone Witch

Birthday torte

Decadence